Saturday, January 12, 2008

Back in the Bird

I'm really happy to be writing this in room 512 of the Iron Blossom lodge, in Snowbird, Utah. My family has had this time share up here in Salt Lake since before I was born, and my whole life it's been a yearly tradition to come up here for a week, go skiing, hang out in the pool at night, goof off in the rec room on the second floor, have lunch on the same bench of the middle floor of the Snowbird center...I could go on but I won't. Suffice to say it's a tradition that's very rich in experience and memory for me. Ok...one last thing...some of the walls here in the lodge are concrete poured in to a mold that left penny-sized indentations, and over the years I've been sticking pennies on to the holes. They're still there!

The big deal, for me, is that because of the UCSB school schedule, I haven't been able to come for the past 5 years. Coming back, today, has been...well, not overwhelming, but it's one of those great memory recall situations where just about every sense is triggering memories that are 5 years old. The sight of the lobby area and fireplace on the bottom floor of the lodge, the smell of the building and of the snow, the sound of the X-men arcade game in the rec room that's been there for at least...15 years. Being my first time on a pair of skis in 5 years, hopefully I won't hit any trees. One thing I'm excited about in particular is a tunnel that's apparently been built in to the side of the mountain connecting it to the basin on the backside. Sweet.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zeke Sikelianos said...

I am now imagining you on skis. Please come back to work. You are missed.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Drew said...

Ha ha. The basin on the backside.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Nic Nic said...

Crazy...I had no idea that you guys have been going for that long. I have never ever been. I am going next year.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home