Thursday, March 06, 2008

Look Away!

I had to blog this because it is just...so vile. My housemate and I have had a Indian meal moths, also known as pantry moths, in our...well, pantry. When first we noticed the problem it just seemed like we had an annoyingly large influx of these harmless little moths fluttering around the house. A couple weeks later, it was pointed out to me that moth larvae were crawling on the walls of our pantry room. Disgusting. We threw out all our open grains and sugary goods, sanitized the room, and started storing grains and similar sundries in tighter containers. The moths would appear in small numbers every now and then, but never as much as that first time. Once I had found that a moth had managed to actually lay eggs in a container of loose Tazo green tea that I had, and anyone familiar with the shape of the tins knows that this particular moth must have either been the Houdini of its species, or it was equipped with a miniature welding torch (which you have to admit is just a little cute, with the little matching face shield and all)

Recently I had noticed some moths hanging out in the pantry, and I've been trying to keep a watchful eye on which dry goods looked like they had been used as a breeding grounds. Last night I discovered one of those things that is so horrifyingly vile that when you see it you shudder and feel the need to retreat to a place far far away. I was trying to find a container of sunflower seeds for a salad, and while I noticed a container on the top shelf that looked like it was the same shape, it didn't seem right for a thing of sunflower seeds to look like it was filled with a greenish-grey spongy material. Turns out moths had laid eggs in the seeds and had filled the container with a dense webbing, which may have also been mixed with mold. Stuck on the surface of the container were all the moths that had matured to adulthood but couldn't find a way out, and had later died. I can't describe how disgusting a chore it was to rinse off the sunflower seeds so I could use them in the salad.

2 Comments:

Blogger NG said...

Oh wow. If it were me, I would have thrown the whole thing away.

Since this posting, have you figured out how the moths are getting into your contained items?

5:36 PM  
Blogger zortnac said...

No horrific infestations since then, thankfully!

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home