Thursday, October 12, 2006

On the Proper Dealings With Undesired Guests

Crazy old man with a sign...came back! (yes, those are two separate links)

When he came the first time we had first thought that he knew about the Queer Pride Week opening rally and wanted to disrupt it, but we later learned that he travels California universities like some wacky one-man Broadway show, "I'm a Douche!", and that he had simply come on that day by pure chance. I wrote an opinion piece on his first visit (a column that outed me to my father, just an interesting little aside).

Anyway, as proof that he really does simply travel the state preaching hate and brimstone (hopefully taking some time off in between), he just recently came back to our school. While he didn't happen to strike on a day of an important rally, he sparked quite the debate from students as well. One student threw a pink Jamba Juice at him, and although I'm not really sure if I agree with that action (stooping to his level and all that jazz)...it is damn funny and I won't pretend or boast to being above such temptations had I been there with my 12oz cup of cold delicious pink and within ranged weapon range.

I was a little bit disappointed with his sign though. Follow the "came back!" link above to see what I mean. Maybe I should have had a dialouge with him design concepts, and why a sign with so much text and such a small font that you have to be within at least 5 ft of it to read is not the best way to advertise your product.

At least he wasn't using comic sans ms. Seriously, is anyone else tired of that damned font?

2 Comments:

Blogger Zeroes said...

I dunno, I think the free speech thing needs to be a two-way street. If he's allowed to spew his message of stupid and hate I think that the preferred response should be throwing something cold and fruity at him. It seems wildly appropriate.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Drew said...

well, thanks for fighting the good fight, chris. how did the situation with your dad turn out?

also, i'm amused to no end that the liquid thrown was bright pink. maybe the thrower just wanted him to get in the spirit?

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home