Sunday, September 24, 2006

Pasta!

Two great evenings, and one minor disaster. My friend Mike can make some very good food, and he seriously goes out of his way to make it gourmet. On a Saturday, he and my sister planned a dinner party where he would make the pasta and she would make pizzas, with various appetizers all around of course. Mike wasn't going to settle for canned tomatoes, so he blanched and then hand-peeled and deseeded a whole shit load of tomatoes, which really isn't a quick task. Kimberly made some great little pizzas, margherita pizza, stuffed crust pizza, goats cheese pizza, all really good.

Mike didn't finish his past until about 10:30, but it was so good that we all agreed it was worth the wait, and I mean it was seriously delicious. It was a type of olive tomato sauce, I forget the name of it, but it involved at least an hour of cook time just to make the base sauce, which you run through a mill and then move to the second phase of the sauce, which is at least another hour of cooktime I think. However, like I said, all worth it.

The second evening was a Borders movie night of my own design, with American style bolognese fusili pasta, and by American bolognese I mean lots of tomatoes, very simple, not cooked in an oven, etc. Unfortunately, the afore mentioned disaster is that I broke what is probably the cardinal rule of cooking, and that is to not leave your cooking food unattended, which I did, so that I could show my friend Steph what half-life 2 looks like. Suffice to say...I burned the sauce. The bottom of the pot had that tell-tale feeling of something stuck to the bottom, and while I did the best that I could do, which is simply pouring whatever isn't burned directly into another pot, the sauce had taken on a distinct smoky/burnt flavor. The sauce had a while left to cook, so I was hoping that the extra flavor I would get from the ingredients plus a little extra salt and some sugar, I could cover up the smoky taste.

Well, I insisted that it still tasted burned, but other people insisted it was delicious and even took home some left overs so I guess I shouldn't complain.

The theme of the evening was "action heroes and their ditzy fish-out-of-water companions," so we watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and Romancing the Stone. A good time was had by all, and I think I want to do it again and this time NOT burn the sauce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home