Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Feeling Overwhelmed

I finally finished Rise of Endymion, and with it, the entire Hyperion Cantos. (The wiki link has spoilers, but they are marked. Be warned.) I say I'm feeling overwhelmed because the end of Rise not only brought tears to my eyes, something a book hasn't done in a while, but also because of what takes place and because of what is revealed over the course of the story. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I almost wish that what was said in the book was a true philosophy so that I could subscribe to it. What got me crying in the end was the love story that takes place and the bittersweet way in which it wraps up. Endymion was a very fun read, but mostly setup for what happens in Rise of Endymion. All in all I think Hyperion is still my favorite, but Rise comes closest to it out of all the books. I think next I'm going to read Revelation Space by Alistar Reynolds.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zeroes said...

There would be nothing better than if the physics of love worked that way. The principles remain sound, we just don't get teleportation out of it.

Damn this lack of teleporty.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Drew said...

Yay! Regular updates again!

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home