Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Write To Marry Day

It's Write To Marry Day today. In the spirit of things I took what I wrote in my last post and re-vamped it a little, and then submitted it to the Santa Barbara News Press as a letter to the editor, inspired also by this great letter to the editor I read over at BTB. I think the News Press must be getting at least a dozen letters on Prop 8 per day, and there's nothing terribly good or special about mine, so I doubt it will get published, but here it is:

Please Help Me Protect Families

I want to appeal to your empathy, but please don't dismiss it a fallacy. I want to appeal to your love for your family, as I cherish my own. I am son to Chris and JoAnn, grandson to Noel and Lenore, Joseph and Helen. The relationships and bonds that strengthen my family are those that we are being asked by Proposition 8 to ignore and deny to same-sex couples.

Please don't be persuaded by claims that domestic partnerships are equivalent to marriage. This issue is not about the total count of benefits that make up each, it is about whether we are willing to look a family in their eyes and tell them they cannot have legal marriage, to instead settle for something separate but mostly equal. These families do and always will exist. These families are our friends and neighbors, they belong to our schools, our secular and religious communities, and we must lift them up, not categorize them separately.

I respect that we all have different views and values concerning what makes marriage sacred, and I know that we all value our families. I know that we can coexist without those views being threatened or our families being diminished. We can all enjoy our equal right to legally marry in the eyes of our government. Please don't take that right away from so many families and couples; please don't put a limit on what my relationships are allowed to become; please vote No on proposition 8.

3 Comments:

Blogger Drew said...

Why submit it to the stupid News-Press and not the Indy?

11:43 AM  
Blogger zortnac said...

Crap, I totally forgot about the Independent. I feel really ashamed right now :(

11:50 AM  
Blogger eightisgreat88 said...

becuase the reps are more likely to read the News Press ;-) take it where it does the most.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home