Sunday, September 11, 2005

Letter to the Governator

California Assembly Bill 849 has made history as the first gay marriage bill ever to be passed by a legislature. AB 849 would amend the description of marriage from "man and woman" to "two persons," and thus allowing same sex marriages the same state recognition as heterosexual marriages and all that comes with it. So, a very historic step and all, but Governor Schwarzenegger has vowed to veto the bill with his reasoning being that he does not wish to counter the will of the people. The will of the people he is referring to would be the passing of Prop. 22 back in 2000 by two-thirds majority.

My friend sent me a blog post that responds pretty well to that reasoning. I myself wrote a letter to the Governator. Sent along with the letter is an autograph Mr. Schwarzenegger made out to me some time ago when I was a kid. I thought it would make a pretty nice type of protest. I have no delusions of changing anyone's mind; as I've been joking with my friends, I'm sure that the intern who reads it will be just tickled pink. Nonetheless, I just felt it was something I needed to do. Anyway, here is the letter in all of its glory (or lack thereof?):

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger,

Enclosed is an autograph you made out to me some time ago during the release of Terminator 2: Judgment Day. As an overweight child, I looked up to you as a role model and was greatly inspired by your involvement in children’s fitness programs. I’ve long since lost the weight and have, to this day, adopted a concern for physical wellbeing that I try to share with others. This past special gubernatorial election I voted for you because I remembered that you cared about children enough to inspire me to better myself, and to me this was a reason to see you as a leader.

I am also a homosexual. As I write this letter, Assembly Bill 849 has made history and is on its way to your desk for your approval or veto, and you have vowed to veto it. That I am a homosexual should not make any difference in how much credence you give this letter, hopefully that will be earned from what I have to say and not by what I am or what I stand to gain; everyone should care about equality whether or not it directly affects them. You yourself have stated that you believe in equality on the matter of same-sex unions, yet today you choose not to stand behind it in your actions. In the past you stood for something that you knew to be unpopular: the physical health of our youth, a crisis that falls to this day upon apathetic ears. Granted, the issue of children’s’ fitness is not the same thing as the issue of gay marriage; children’s fitness does not offend the personal morals of some people as gay marriage does. Still, whether you face apathy as you did in the past or moral opposition as you face today, you have a decision between doing what I believe you know to be right or settling for what is popular with the majority. In the past you stood for what was right, why can you not do that today?

You have stated your reasons being that you do not wish to go against the will of the people, as it was the people who voted by almost two-thirds majority to pass prop. 22. I understand how difficult a decision it is that you have and I understand the importance of acknowledging the will of the people. However I also think it is important to, as the saying goes, protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority. Allowing state recognition of same sex marriage has no impact on the lives or freedoms of those who oppose the idea, and I believe this to be an inescapable fact. Rather, it is the pursuit of happiness of same-sex couples that is restricted by the will of the majority. Many in this majority will not be content with the freedom we should all have to follow our own moral paths, but instead will only be content having forced their own path upon others. I believe that the will of the majority in this case is unjust, and thus I believe that our system intends for you to protect the minority from this injustice, going against what is popular and doing what is right.

I so very sincerely hope that you change your mind and help mark another place in history where we, again, make a stride in tolerance and equality. Until then I can no longer support you, and I can not keep this sentiment of best wishes from a man whom I can no longer look up to. Please do the right thing.

Sincerely,
Christopher


And the autograph:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home